Re: The Integrated Desktop

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 00:11, Iain Dooley wrote:

> but instead of building it's own web browser, and it's own mail client,
> why doesn't KDE focus on integrating more thouroughly these other
> fantastic, open source applications?

Because those "other fantastic, open source applications" weren't available at
the time the KDE applications where created and it would be a waste to drop
all this nice integrations between them now.
Moreover I am not convinced that they are better, it all depends on your
needings.
The KDE applications are by default a lot better if you want integration.

> imagine what could be achieved if KDE, OpenOffice and the Mozilla
> project joined forces...

What are you missing exactly?
There is a integration project for OO.o on KDE, the Gecko engine can be
compiled on top of Qt and the asociated developers stated that a Qt/KDE based
Firefox/Mozilla is not a technical problem.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@xxxxxx>