kHotkeys not working

I have a special khotkey set to open firefox when i press F12 but it doesnt work, and i tried many other hotkeys that are set and none of them work either, basically the whole feature of khotkeys is broken and ive been told my several other friends of mine it doesnt work either, i have kdeinit: khotkeys listed in ps -aux but no go. how do i get khotkeys to work?

your friend,
joe riley