WMV Server

Does linux support a wmv server?
tommie
msc. tomas alberto ramirez.andujar
webmaster - cejisoft - +5332 262451 /261410
universidad pedagogica jose marti. camaguey
circunvalacion norte km 51/2 cp 74670. cuba
tommie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - www.esicm.cu/cejisoft

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
Brian S. Stephan wrote:

Hi. Prodded along by the discussion on UTF-8 elsewhere on this list I decided to try changing my locale (in Linux) to something UTF-8 based. Upon doing so, I have noticed some strange problems with KDE's behavior.

First let me say that as far as I know, UTF-8 is working correctly. I put:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
in my /etc/env.d/ directory and updated /etc/profile.env then logged out and back in. echo $LANG in bash shows the correct setting, and bash can correctly read filenames with accented characters and even Japanese kanji. That's not the problem though.

Just about everything KDE-based seems to start slower, even when only displaying "standard" English characters.

KSensors is the worst example (when I click the system tray icon to draw my sensor panel, it is a white window for about half a second before anything useful is drawn), but it's not KDE proper so I'll move on to other examples, such as KWrite. When I start KWrite, at first only the window title bar and window outline is drawn, with a gray area where the menu and toolbars go and the text input area is empty. Then after about half a second, everything is finished being drawn as usual. If I open two files (first to populate the existing window, second to open a new one) the second window is as quick to draw as always, so it's just program init. And all this on an Athlon XP 2500+, I'd hate to see the lag on my other, slower boxes.

The problem is this doesn't happen when I don't have $LANG set.

Every real KDE app seems to behave this way. The first time Kopete is drawn, same deal. Every other time I hide to system tray and restore it, it's snappy. I used lsof to see what resources were in use and found that every app is loading /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive while when I don't have $LANG set only some apps load that. I don't know if this is expected or not.

My problem may seem trivial but it's a distraction and a certain performance degradation. Please help.

It is possible that something is timing out looking for some LC_* setting.

Do you have: LC_ALL set?  And do you have any of the other: LC_* set?

    env | grep LC_

You should (unless you need to configure the locale stuff individually) set LC_ALL to <local>.utf8 (the same as you have set LANG). You can set LANG to the same or set it to "C" (to default to the language for the locale).

P.S. What is ~/.kde/share/locale/ for? I have it but it is empty.

That is probably for KDE -- my directory is also empty. Perhaps you have to have installed a KDE i18n package for this to be used for anything.

The LANG and LC_* settings are for the OS.

--
JRT

............................................................ Este mensaje ha sido analizado por MDaemon Antivirus v2.21. Instituto Superior Pedagógico de Camaguey, Cuba.