Re: Writing to the windows files system

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 08.18, canllaith wrote:
> As of the 2.6 kernel the NTFS write support is no longer considered
> experimental and therefore reasonably safe. That said I can't personally
> vouch for it's stability.

It is safe for very simple cases, i.e. when you overwrite an existing file
without extending it. That operation is rare. When you save a file most
programs delete or truncate and then rewrite the file.

Some KDE apps (e.g. kedit) do overwrite and truncate afterwards, but they may
well extend the file too, which the ntfs driver do not handle.

Captive-NTFS (a wrapper around the windows driver) may be what you want.

-- robin