Re: fontconfig +xfs ? or only fontconfig ....

Marie-Noelle Dauphin wrote:
thank's for your response  James ....

Marie-Noelle Dauphin wrote:

Hello , Since several months ,  I have compiled konstruct.kde  with qt  in
the same time... . since there is a new version , i compil it  with the same
method ..

I noticed that sometimes for one version (for example kde3.2 ),

kde use fontconfig AND the fonts of the xfs server  ( I see that in kde
control configuration , there 's plenty of fonts which are not not defined in
the /etc/fonts.conf but in the xfs server

FontConfig will search directory trees recursively so if you have:

	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
	/usr/share/fonts
	~/.fonts

I m' sure that kde use fontconfig AND xfs ....

No, current versions of Qt and KDE use ONLY FontConfig to locate fonts.

because If i do a : xset -fp tcp/server:7100 , there is less fonts in kde configuration( before : 50 and after: 20 ...) this shows me that it was X Fonts of xfs and not fonts of fontconfig ....

It will use the same fonts that XFS serves but it must use FontConfig to serve them.

it will find most of them, but if running [as root]:

	fc-cache -v

doesn't list all of your fonts, then add the directories to: "/etc/fonts/local.conf". Remember, you only need the root of a tree.

when I run : fc-list I don't list as much fonts as kde list in kde configuration
What about the directories? Does fc-cache -v list all of the directories?

and for another version ( for example kde 3.3)  kde only use fontconfig ....

It 's annoying for users .... because when I change the kde version they
loose fonts ...It would be all the time the same fonts ...

can you explain me that ? I don't find compilation option for that in kde ....

It is Qt that uses FontConfig, so it is necessary that you Qt is linked against
FontConfig. Older versions of Qt's 'configure' script had problems finding FontConfig if it wasn't installed in: /usr/X11R6. That might be your problem > if you built from source.

in the configure.log I see that fontconfig is found ...

OK, then it should be only an issue with FontConfig.

Also, do you have fonts installed in your user account's $HOME directory. If so, you must run:

	fc-cache -v
	fc-list

both as root and as your user account to get a complete list of the fonts.

--
JRT