Q: cannot change mouse button mapping

Cheers. I'm new to KDE and am having trouble making my mouse left-handed. The problem is that the Control Center > Peripherals > Mouse configuration is greyed-out and doesn't permit selecting either option. Furthermore, the option indicates that "Left handed" is selected, but the configuration is for righties.

The environment is SuSE 9.1 with KDE 3.2.1. My home directory is NFS mounted (relevant? e.g., is locking an issue?). I have made this change in similar environments without problems.

I've also tried changing .kde/share/config/kcminputrc by editing it manually. I don't know whether such actions are kosher, or whether I need to tickle somebody to register the update. This action appeared to have no effect after logging out & in.

Thanks for any help,
Reece

--
Reece Hart, http://www.in-machina.com/~reece/, GPG:0x25EC91A0