Re: KDE audio with ALSA and Arts, how?

Sean Schertell wrote:
On Sunday 02 May 2004 01:09 am, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Can someone please explain how to get KDE 3.2.2 to use alsa?  I've got a
2.6.5 kernel and alsa is running but doesn't really work with KDE.  Here
are some clues:

1) The test sound works well from the control center, but I don't hear
the KDE startup sound or any other KDE sounds.

2) JuK sounds a bit "garbled" when set to use arts output (unlistenable).

3) JuK produces no sound and skips to the next track when set to use
GStreamer output.

Help please!  I don't understand how KDE and arts and oss and gstreamer
and alsa are supposed to all work together ?!  Mostly, I just want to get
JuK sounding okay again.

If you have any clues at all, please enlighten me!

I'm not sure of your problem.

IIUC, you must have the latest version of ALSA to use with the new Kernel.
 Do you have ALSA 1.0.4?  If not, upgrading ALSA is the first thing that I
would suggest.

There was a bug in KDE that you had to select ALSA in the Sound System KCM.
   I don't know if that is still necessary, but I would then try that as
well.

Thanks for your help... but actually, I do have the latest 1.04 ALSA and I've tried selecting ALSA or Threaded Open Sound System in Control Center -- same results. I think maybe I've got too many sound modules loaded or something. Any other ideas?

You must have: "/etc/modules.conf" setup correctly for it to work.

There are copy and paste level instructions for most sound cards at:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

--
JRT