KMail and Charset handling

I had to wipe out my RedHat 9 + KDE 3.1.4 installation and re-installed
with Fedora Core 1 (with KDE 3.1.4). Gosh it was sooo nice to see my KDE
environment come back just like it was before!

BUT, now KMail does an odd thing. If I reply to a message using the toolbar
icon, when I try to send the reply there's a dialog complaining that KMail
can't find the right characterset and offers to send the reply without the
quoted text or let me change the encoding. I have tried us-ascii, the
Western iso- sets and the utf-8 sets and nothing works. HOWEVER, if I
right-click on the sender address and reply, everything goes just fine.
The only "fancy" character in my replies have been pound signs in the
quoted text, and not all my failed replies have had them.

I've Googled and looked through the KDe bug database and kde-pim list
archives and I can't find anything that even describes charset handling,
nevermind provides clues on what to do.