Re: TrueType Fonts with XFS

Thanks for your elaborate reply,

I started using your advice and it seems to work much better once I work one step at a time. I just need a little more help regarding the FontConfig. As I looked into the files in /etc/fonts, they seem to be XML files. Also I understand that there is some kind of tool to manipulate the content of those files but all I found was the command fontconfig-config to which I did not find documentation.
Can you recommend me how to manage those *.conf files?

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

David Harel wrote:

Hi James,

I hope you don't mind my attempt to send you a message directly, I was wondering why you say that xfs is obsolete

XFree86 now has an internal font server for the old X font system which handles TrueType fonts directly. KDE and most new applications use FontConfig. So, unless you are using it to serve fonts over a network to applications that don't use FontConfig, you don't need it.

and what do you suggest to use instead of it.

You should list your font paths in XF86Config, and you should make sure
that FontConfig finds all of your font directories based on the two
configuration files (*.conf) in: /etc/fonts/"

I ask this because I tried to set the font path in XFree86 config file
to use the fonts directories directly but then, everything worked very
slowwww.

This is very odd. Do you have something like this in XF86Config:

Section "Files"
    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TT"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/URW/TT"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/URW/Type1"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

To check FontConfig, run in a Konsole [as root]:

fc-cache -v

and see if it lists all of your font directories.

Or, you might want to redo the caches with:

fc-cache -vf

It will take a while if you have a lot of fonts.

Remember, after changing XF86Config that you need to restart X for the changes to take effect.

--
JRT

-- Thanks.

David Harel,