Re: Font kerning (character-to -character spacing) when printing problem

Mark Thorp Duxbury wrote:
On Friday 26 March 2004 00:41, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

Dik Takken wrote:

I'm afraid that the problem is with Qt's embedding of the fonts.

I don't embed fonts, but that isn't very simple.  Especially if you use
CUPS.

--
JRT

Greetings,

Now I understand what's happened.

I vaguely remember (probably several years ago now) working with ghostscript to get font names to match what qt was producing. I seem to remember making a whole set of aliases by printing samples from a kde app over and over again with different fonts and then looking to see what qt called those fonts and trying to find what ghostscript was calling them. I remember this process as being quite horrible. [If I may be permitted a brief, possibly incorrect, and definitely on the wrong list, rant: Why, in God's name, can't ghostscript tell you what fonts it knows about? For example, why isn't there something like "gs --print_sample_fonts > test.ps" which would cause ghostscript to print a sample of every font it knows about, along with the names that ghostscript knows for each font. Sorry for that, I feel better now.]

GhostScript is working with the PostScript Font Name that is embedded in the font. It is Qt that screws up. :-(

This patch for Qt works for me:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/files/qt-x11-free-3.3.1-PSfontname.patch.tar.bz2

--
JRT