Re: How to add a menu item visible for ALL users?

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> For example, to add a menu-entry to the "Multimedia" menu you could copy a
> . desktop file to either /etc/opt/kde3/share/applnk/Multimedia/ or to
> /opt/kde3/share/applnk/Multimedia/
>
> There is also a new way, new in SuSE 9.0 and soon in KDE 3.2. For that way
> you can copy the .desktop file to /usr/share/applications and add a
> Categories=xxx line to the .desktop file. The category then determines in
> which menu the file shows up. You will have a
> /opt/kde3/share/applnk/default_applications.menu file that determines
> which categories are shown in which menus.

I tried all the 3 options your suggested but none of them worked.
I ran 'desktop-file-validate' and it reported no errors on my .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=
Exec= rdesktop -a24 -kpt-br -r sound -D -g800x600 head
Icon=tsclient
Name=Windows (Head)
Encoding=UTF-8
Path=
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-StartupNotify=false
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=
Categories=System;

I restarted KDE between each change, but the item refused to show up on the
'System' menu.

I am running SuSE 9.0.

Mark