Re: Re: kppp doesn't start pppd

Keith Harwood wrote:

hgfelger suggested debug in /etc/ppp/options. This didn't help, but from his hint I did discover where the pppd messages are going, to daemon.log, under the control of syslog. Should I send them somewhere else for kppp to find?

There seems to be two problems.
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp0
Quite right, there isn't one. Building linux with ppp support doesn't seem to create this module. I have tried having ppp support both built-in and as a module. As a module it creates ppp_async.o, ppp_deflate.o and ppp_generic.o.
What step have I missed out?

You should probably build that into the Kernel. If not, I think that "ppp0" is an alias for "ppp_async".

Second problem is
   pppd[226]: By default the remote system is required to authenticate itself
   pppd[226]: (because this system has a default route to the internet)
   pppd[226]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use
              to do so.

Normally you need: "noauth" in your "/etc/ppp/options" file if the remote system isn't required to authenticate itself.

Could you please start: KPPP from a Konsole and post any errors?

--
JRT