An Image for the History Books! ⚫ ✨🔭

Telescopes get extraordinary view of Milky Way's black hole

EDUCATION UPDATES | TEACHABLE MOMENT

Take a first look at our galaxy's black hole ...

Teachable Moment: Telescopes Get Extraordinary View of Milky Way's Black Hole

Our home galaxy, the Milky Way, has a supermassive black hole at its center, but we’ve never actually seen it – until now. The Event Horizon Telescope, funded by the National Science Foundation, has released the first image of our galactic black hole, Sagittarius A*.

Read our latest Teachable Moment to find out how scientists captured the first image of Sagittarius A*, why it's important, and how to turn it into a learning opportunity for students.

WATCH & LEARN

Press Conference: First Image of Sagittarius A *, Milky Way Black Hole

Press Conference

Scientists discuss how they captured the first image of Sagittarius A*

BLACK HOLE RESOURCES

Educator Guides

Lesson: Dropping In With Gravitational Waves

Lesson | Grades 6-8

Dropping In With Gravitational Waves

Lesson: How Do We See Dark Matter?

Lesson | Grades 6-12

How Do We See Dark Matter?

Student Activities

Slideshow: Black Holes: By the Numbers

Slideshow

Black Holes: By the Numbers

Articles

Teachable Moments: How Scientists Captured the First Image of a Black Hole

Teachable Moments

How Scientists Captured the First Image of a Black Hole

Teachable Moments: Gravitational Waves Detected for the First Time

Teachable Moments

Gravitational Waves Detected for the First Time

Article: JPL Education ‘Teachable Moment’ Inspires Winning Science Fair Project

Teachable Moments

JPL Education ‘Teachable Moment’ Inspires Winning Science Fair Project

ACROSS THE NASA-VERSE

Video: What Is a Black Hole?

NASA Space Place

Video: What Is a Black Hole?