Our Solar System and the Periodic Table of Elements

Date: Saturday, Dec. 13, 2014, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., plus Challenger Learning Center Mission Simulation: “Return to the Moon” from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Target Audience: Pre-service and credentialed teachers

Location: Columbia Memorial Space Center, Downey, California

Overview: Learn about our solar system and how it relates to the periodic table of elements. Take a trip beginning at the center and reach out to the outer boundaries of our solar system. This California standards-based workshop will teach you basic principles of what the table represents by using our solar system as an exciting basis for understanding.

Reserve your spot by calling (562) 231-1200 or registering via the City of Downey's ActiveNet portal. Pre-registration is required. Participants must bring their teacher or student ID. Lunch is provided.

Throughout 2014 and into 2015, the City of Downey Columbia Memorial Space Center is inviting fully credentialed and pre-service teachers to learn and explore by joining its informative and innovative workshops. The workshops are free to pre-service and fully credentialed teachers and are taught by instructors from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Texas Instruments as well as science consultants.

Visit the Columbia Memorial Space Center's monthly calendar for a full listing of upcoming teacher workshops.

For a listing of educator workshops from NASA/JPL, visit the JPL Education website, at: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/education/index.cfm?page=387