Re: Large CQE for fuse headers

On 10/14/24 15:34, Pavel Begunkov wrote:
> On 10/14/24 13:47, Bernd Schubert wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure how the libfuse interface will work to accommodate
>>> this.  Currently if the server needs to delay the processing of a
>>> request it would have to copy all arguments, since validity will not
>>> be guaranteed after the callback returns.  With the io_uring
>>> infrastructure the headers would need to be copied, but the data
>>> buffer would be per-request and would not need copying.  This is
>>> relaxing a requirement so existing servers would continue to work
>>> fine, but would not be able to take full advantage of the multi-buffer
>>> design.
>>>
>>> Bernd do you have an idea how this would work?
>>
>> I assume returning a CQE is io_uring_cq_advance()?
>
> Yes
>
>> In my current libfuse io_uring branch that only happens when
>> all CQEs have been processed. We could also easily switch to
>> io_uring_cqe_seen() to do it per CQE.
>
> Either that one.
>
>> I don't understand why we need to return CQEs asap, assuming CQ
>> ring size is the same as SQ ring size - why does it matter?
>
> The SQE is consumed once the request is issued, but nothing
> prevents the user to keep the QD larger than the SQ size,
> e.g. do M syscalls each ending N requests and then wait for
> N * M completions.

I need a bit help to understand this. Do you mean that in typical
io-uring usage SQEs get submitted, already released in kernel
and then users submit even more SQEs? And that creates a
kernel queue depth for completion?
I guess as long as libfuse does not expose the ring we don't have
that issue. But then yeah, exposing the ring to fuse-server/daemon
is planned...

>> If we indeed need to return the CQE before processing the request,
>> it indeed would be better to have a 2nd memory buffer associated with
>> the fuse request.
>
> With that said, the usual problem is to size the CQ so that it
> (almost) never overflows, otherwise it hurts performance. With
> DEFER_TASKRUN you can delay returning CQEs to the kernel until
> the next time you wait for completions, i.e. do io_uring waiting
> syscall. Without the flag, CQEs may come asynchronously to the
> user, so need a bit more consideration.

Current libfuse code has it disabled IORING_SETUP_SINGLE_ISSUER,
IORING_SETUP_DEFER_TASKRUN, IORING_SETUP_TASKRUN_FLAG and
IORING_SETUP_COOP_TASKRUN as these are somehow slowing down
things.
Not sure if this thread is optimal to discuss this. I would
also first like to sort out all the other design topics before
going into fine-tuning...

Thanks,
Bernd