Re: Large CQE for fuse headers

On 10/14/24 13:10, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2024 at 04:44, Ming Lei <tom.leiming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> It also depends on how fuse user code consumes the big CQE payload, if
>> fuse header needs to keep in memory a bit long, you may have to copy it
>> somewhere for post-processing since io_uring(kernel) needs CQE to be
>> returned back asap.
>
> Yes.
>
> I'm not quite sure how the libfuse interface will work to accommodate
> this.  Currently if the server needs to delay the processing of a
> request it would have to copy all arguments, since validity will not
> be guaranteed after the callback returns.  With the io_uring

Well, it depends on the libfuse implementation. In plain libfuse the
buffer is associated with the the thread. This could be improved
by creating a request pool and buffers per request. AFAIK, Antonio
has done that for mergerfs.

> infrastructure the headers would need to be copied, but the data
> buffer would be per-request and would not need copying.  This is
> relaxing a requirement so existing servers would continue to work

Yep, that is actually how we use it at ddn for requests over io-uring.

> fine, but would not be able to take full advantage of the multi-buffer
> design.

What do you actually mean with "multi-buffer design"?

Thanks,
Bernd