Re: [EXT] Re: FYI, fsnotify contention with aio and io_uring.

Pierre Labat <plabat@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Had some time to re-do some testing.
>
> 1) Pipewire (its wireplumber deamon) set a watch on the children of the directory /dev via inotify.
> I removed that (disabled pipewire), but still had the fsnotify
> overhead when using aio/io_ring at high IOPS across several threads on
> several cores.
>
> 2) I then noticed that udev set a watch (via inotify) on the files in /dev.
> This is due to a rule in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-block.rules
> # watch metadata changes, caused by tools closing the device node which was opened for writing
> ACTION!="remove", SUBSYSTEM=="block", \
>   KERNEL=="loop*|mmcblk*[0-9]|msblk*[0-9]|mspblk*[0-9]|nvme*|sd*|vd*|xvd*|bcache*|cciss*|dasd*|ubd*|ubi*|scm*|pmem*|nbd*|zd*",
> \
>   OPTIONS+="watch"
> I removed "nvme*" from this rule (I am testing on /dev/nvme0n1), then finally the fsnotify overhead disappeared.

Interesting.  I don't see that behavior.  I setup a null block device
with the following parameters:

modprobe null_blk submit_queues=96 queue_mode=2 gb=350 bs=4096 completion_nsec=0 hw_queue_depth=1024

And I ran the following fio job:

---
[global]
ioengine=io_uring
iodepth=8
direct=1
rw=read
filename=/dev/nullb0
cpus_allowed=0-95
cpus_allowed_policy=split
size=1g
offset_increment=10g

[32thread]
numjobs=32
---

If there are no watches on /dev or /dev/nullb0, then I see 70-79GiB/s
throughput from this job.  If I add a watch on /dev/nullb0, there
appears to be a small performance hit, but it is within the run-to-run
variation.  If I instead add a watch to /dev, the throughput drops to
~10GiB/s.  So, I think this matches your initial report (the perf top
output closely matched yours).

Can you run the attached script to verify that nothing is watching /dev
when you have udev configured to watch the nvme device, and report back?
Run it with the path as the argument, so "inotify-watchers.sh /dev".
If there is no watch on /dev, and you still see a performance problem,
then we'll need to start investigating that.  A good starting point
would be details of how you are testing, along with new perf top output.

-Jeff