Re: FYI, fsnotify contention with aio and io_uring.

Hi, Pierre,

Pierre Labat <plabat@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This is FYI, may be you already knows about that, but in case you don't....
>
> I was pushing the limit of the number of nvme read IOPS, the FIO + the
> Linux OS can handle. For that, I have something special under the
> Linux nvme driver. As a consequence I am not limited by whatever the
> NVME SSD max IOPS or IO latency would be.
>
> As I cranked the number of system cores and FIO jobs doing direct 4k
> random read on /dev/nvme0n1, I hit a wall. The IOPS scaling slows
> (less than linear) and around 15 FIO jobs on 15 core threads, the
> overall IOPS, in fact, goes down as I add more FIO jobs. For example
> on a system with 24 cores/48 threads, when I goes beyond 15 FIO jobs,
> the overall IOPS starts to go down.
>
> This happens the same for io_uring and aio. Was using kernel version 6.3.9. Using one namespace (/dev/nvme0n1).

[snip]

> As you can see 76% of the cpu on the box is sucked up by
> lockref_get_not_zero() and lockref_put_return().  Looking at the code,
> there is contention when IO_uring call fsnotify_access().

Is there a FAN_MODIFY fsnotify watch set on /dev?  If so, it might be a
good idea to find out what set it and why.

> The filesystem code fsnotify_access() ends up calling dget_parent()
> and later dput() to take a reference on the parent directory (that
> would be /dev/ in our case), and later release the reference.  This is
> done (get+put) for each IO.
>
> The dget increments a unique/same counter (for the /dev/ directory)
> and dput decrements this same counter.
>
> As a consequence we have 24 cores/48 threads fighting to get the same
> counter in their cache to modify it. At a rate of M of iops. That is
> disastrous.
>
> To work around that problem, and continue my scalability testing, I
> acked io_uring and aio to set the flag FMODE_NONOTIFY in the struct
> file->f_mode of the file on which IOs are done.  Doing that forces
> fsnotify to do nothing. The iops immediately went up more than 4X and
> the fsnotify trashing disappeared.
>
> May be it would be a good idea to add an option to FIO to disable
> fsnotify on the file[s] on which IOs are issued?

Maybe I'm wrong, but that sounds like an abuse of the FMODE_NONOTIFY
flag.

> Or to take a reference on the file parent directory only once when fio
> starts?

Let's decide on whether or not the application is following best
practices, first, starting with answering the questions I asked above.

Cheers,
Jeff