Re: [LSF/MM/BPF ATTEND][LSF/MM/BPF Topic] Non-block IO

On 2/10/23 19:00, Kanchan Joshi wrote:
is getting more common than it used to be.
NVMe is no longer tied to block storage. Command sets in NVMe 2.0 spec
opened an excellent way to present non-block interfaces to the Host. ZNS
and KV came along with it, and some new command sets are emerging.

OTOH, Kernel IO advances historically centered around the block IO path.
Passthrough IO path existed, but it stayed far from all the advances, be
it new features or performance.

Current state & discussion points:
---------------------------------
Status-quo changed in the recent past with the new passthrough path (ng
char interface + io_uring command). Feature parity does not exist, but
performance parity does.
Adoption draws asks. I propose a session covering a few voices and
finding a path-forward for some ideas too.

1. Command cancellation: while NVMe mandatorily supports the abort
command, we do not have a way to trigger that from user-space. There
are ways to go about it (with or without the uring-cancel interface) but
not without certain tradeoffs. It will be good to discuss the choices in
person.

I would love to have this discussion; that's something which has been on my personal to-do list for a long time, and io_uring might finally be a solution to it.

Or, alternatively, looking at CDL for NVMe; that would be an alternative approach.
Maybe it's even worthwhile to schedule a separate meeting for it.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare@xxxxxxx                              +49 911 74053 688