Re: Polling on an io_uring file descriptor

On 10/22/21 08:59, Drew DeVault wrote:
On Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 2:00 PM CEST, Drew DeVault wrote:
Surely should be updated if not mentioned

That, or the constraint removed? The reasoning is a bit obscure and I
suspect that this case could be made possible.

So I dug into this a bit more, and the constraint seems to be to avoid a
reference loop when CONFIG_UNIX=n. I grepped Google and SourceGraph for
"CONFIG_UNIX=n" and only found two kernel configs with Unix sockets
disabled, neither of which had io_uring enabled. Given the rather
arbitrary restriction on registering io_urings with each other, and the
apparent absence of a use-case for io_uring without Unix sockets, can we
just require CONFIG_UNIX for io_uring and remove the limitation?

It's potentially problematic, even now we have a couple of other
spots relying on it. Is there a good reason why it's needed?

--
Pavel Begunkov