Re: IORING_OP_POLL_ADD/IORING_OP_POLL_REMOVE questions

On 5/4/21 7:06 PM, Olivier Langlois wrote:
> [...]
> *egen)
> {
>   *type = data >> 56;
>   *fd   = data & 0xffffffffU;
>   *egen = (data >> 32) & 0x00ffffffU;
> }
>
>           struct io_uring_sqe *sqe = iouring_sqe_get (EV_A);
>           printf("%d %d remove %d %u\n", oev, nev, fd, (uint32_t)anfds
> [fd].egen);
>           io_uring_prep_poll_remove(sqe,
> iouring_build_user_data(IOURING_POLL, fd, anfds [fd].egen));
> //          io_uring_sqe_set_data(sqe,
> iouring_build_user_data(IOURING_POLL, fd, anfds [fd].egen));
>
>           /* increment generation counter to avoid handling old events
> */
>           ++anfds [fd].egen;
>
>           struct io_uring_sqe *sqe = iouring_sqe_get (EV_A);
>           io_uring_prep_poll_add(sqe, fd, (nev & EV_READ ? POLLIN : 0)
> | (nev & EV_WRITE ? POLLOUT : 0));
>           io_uring_sqe_set_data(sqe,
> iouring_build_user_data(IOURING_POLL, fd, anfds [fd].egen));
> printf("%d %d add %d %u\n", oev, nev, fd, (uint32_t)anfds [fd].egen);
>
> Followed by a io_uring_enter() call buried in liburing code to submit the 2 sqes at the same time:
>
> inline_speed
> int
> iouring_enter (EV_P_ ev_tstamp timeout)
> {
>   int res;
>   struct __kernel_timespec ts;
>   struct io_uring_cqe *cqe_ptr;
>   EV_TS_SET(ts, timeout);
>   EV_RELEASE_CB;
>
>   res = io_uring_wait_cqe_timeout(&iouring_ring, &cqe_ptr, &ts);
>
>   EV_ACQUIRE_CB;
>
>   return res;
> }
>
> On the CQE processing side, I have the following trace:
>
> // fd is hardcoded to filter out all the calls working fine
> if (fd == 85)
>             printf("85 gen %d res %d\n", (uint32_t)gen, res);
>
> Here is the output:
> 85 gen 1 res 195
> 0 1 add 85 1
>
> // Those 2 sqes are submitted at the same time
> 1 3 remove 85 1
> 1 3 add 85 2
>
> 85 gen 1 res -125
> 85 gen 1 res 4
>
> When I receive '85 gen 1 res 4', it is discarded because gen 1 poll
> request has been cancelled. The code will process gen 2 cqes from
> there.
>
> My '1 3 add 85 2' sqe has been silently discarded. After 1 minute of
> unexpected fd inactivity, I try to remove my gen 2 POLL request and it
> result to a cqe reporting an ENOENT error.
>
> 1. 195 is the cqe result for a successful IORING_OP_POLL_ADD
> submission. I only check the POLLIN|POLLOUT bits. What is the meaning
> of the other bits?
>
> 2. I don't understand what I am looking at. Why am I receiving a
> completion notification for a POLL request that has just been
> cancelled? What is the logic behind silently discarding a
> IORING_OP_POLL_ADD sqe meant to replace an existing one?

I'm lost in your message, so let's start with simple reasons. All
requests post one CQE (almost true), including poll_remove requests.

io_uring_prep_poll_remove(sqe, iouring_build_user_data(IOURING_POLL, fd, anfds [fd].egen));
// io_uring_sqe_set_data(sqe, iouring_build_user_data(IOURING_POLL, fd, anfds [fd].egen));

If poll remove and poll requests have identical user_data, as in
the second (commented?) line you'll get two CQEs with that user_data.

Did you check return value (in CQE) of poll remove? I'd recommend
set its user_data to something unique. Did you consider that it
may fail?

> 3. As I am writing this email, I have just noticed that it was possible
> to update an existing POLL entry with IORING_OP_POLL_REMOVE through
> io_uring_prep_poll_update(). Is this what I should do to eliminate my
> problems? What are the possible race conditions scenarios that I should
> be prepared to handle by using io_uring_prep_poll_update() (ie:
> completion of the poll entry to update while my process is inside
> io_uring_enter() to update it...)?

Update is preferable, but it's Linux kernel 5.13.
Both remove and update may fail. e.g. with -EALREADY

--
Pavel Begunkov