Re: [RFC 00/22] Add support for GuC-based SLPC

On 21/01/16 04:26, tom.orourke@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
From: Tom O'Rourke <Tom.O'Rourke@xxxxxxxxx>

SLPC (Single Loop Power Controller) is a replacement for
some host-based power management features.  The SLPC
implemenation runs in firmware on GuC.

This series is a first request for comments.  This series
is not expected to be merged.  After changes based on
comments, a later patch series will be sent for merging.

This series has been tested with SKL guc firmware
versions 4.3 and 4.7.  The graphics power management
features in SLPC in those versions are DFPS (Dynamic FPS),
Turbo, and DCC (Duty Cycle Control).  DFPS adjusts
requested graphics frequency to maintain target framerate.
Turbo adjusts requested graphics frequency to maintain
target GT busyness.  DCC adjusts requested graphics
frequency and stalls guc-scheduler to maintain actual
graphics frequency in efficient range.

Can we have a benchmark/CI mode that has turbo and reclocking disabled? The frequency would be set to whatever frequency the kernel requests and the GuC would report how many throttling events happened so as our benchmarking system could automatically lower the frequency to provide stable results.

We have benchmarks who really need such a mode!