Re: Taking tiling and rotation into account in watermark computations

On 10/07/2014 11:22 AM, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 05:11:57PM +0100, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

Hi all,

We need to refactor the current code a bit to allow parameters like
plane rotation and framebuffer tiling mode be taken into account when
calculating display watermarks.

I looked into this code a bit and am at the moment a bit confused with
what is where and why.

For example the purpose of plane_config in intel_crtc seems a bit thin,
or why it is created once on driver init.

That thing is only used for the BIOS fb takesover. Probably should be
renamed since it's basically just some kind of duplicated fb structure
rather than a full plane config. And I don't want to extend that
duplication into the structure we use to track the plane config
otherwise.

We now have intel_plane_state (or something like that) that's going to
form the basis of the plane config tracking.

Then again watermark
parameters are embedded in intel_plane, which is separate from
plane_config.

The per-plane watermark stuff should get moved into the
intel_plane_state. But that requires that I find the time to get
back to the watermark code and actually finish off whatever patches
I have still pending. So the current state of the watermark code
was just meant to be a short lived thing while it continues to
evolve. Sadly the remaining stuff didn't get in when I had the
time to work on it and now I can't seem to find any time for it.
But hopefully soon I'll have some time for this again (famous
last words).

Oh good, at least my feeling that things are a bit messy here wasn't wrong. :) But considering what you said, I am not sure where does that leave "me"?

I need to have working Y-tiled scanout as a dependency for another feature we are working on. Former is mostly implemented by Damien, just needs this per plane watermark corrections.

I can put in some hacks to make it work locally and unblock development, but I think sooner rather than later we will need a proper solution. If nothing then to move Damien's work out of the private branch.

Or in other words, is there something someone could do to help you find some time to finish the stuff you got pending?

Regards,

Tvrtko