Re: [PULL] drm-xe-next-fixes v2

On 2024-07-11 08:18:18, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> Hi Dave and Sima,
>
> This is a v2 of https://lore.kernel.org/intel-xe/Zo2sO4t32dxqy6Q7@xxxxxxxxx/
>
> v2 - Removed Thomas' write-back caching mode patch since Lucas will propagete
> that through drm-xe-fixes towards 6.10. So we remove the amount of patch
> duplication.
>
> Again, it is important to highlight the uapi rename present in this
> pull-request.
> Mesa is aligned and waiting to merge their side:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/30027
>
> Since this uapi was recently merged, after we get both sides propagate
> there won't be any kernel or mesa releases with the old bad naming.
> So we should be good.

This looks to be a simple rename, and it appears that the binary
interface is functionally the same. So, even if there was a Mesa
release using the old header, it should function fine with the
interface to the kernel regardless of which header the kernel used.

If the binary interface had changed, I'm not sure an argument of "no
kernel or Mesa releases have happened" would be a good way to justify
such a change. Luckily that is not the case here anyway.

-Jordan