Re: [RFC 0/5] Introduce drm sharpening property

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 13:29:16 +0200
Pekka Paalanen <pekka.paalanen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 07:11:48 +0000
> "Garg, Nemesa" <nemesa.garg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Actually, is the hardware just doing a convolution with a filter
defined by the driver?

Convolution algorithm (it is a formula!) is pretty standard stuff I
believe. If the hardware is actually doing convolution, then the driver
really should be exposing the convolution operation. Then people can
choose to use it for sharpening with the Intel developed kernels, or
for custom effects with custom kernels. Everyone would win. Convolution
is also something that other hardware vendors could implement.

A convolution filter would fit very well in the new KMS color pipeline
design for post-compositing operations, too.

Is the sharpening element doing something similar to the unsharp
masking?

I suppose users might want different strength based on what kind of
content is the majority on the screen. That makes it something that a
Wayland compositor would adjust automatically based on Wayland content
type (similar to HDMI content type), for example.

Thanks,
pq