Re: [bug report] drm/i915: Allow compaction upto SWIOTLB max segment size

On 07/02/2023 08:49, Dan Carpenter wrote:
On Mon, Feb 06, 2023 at 04:59:36PM +0000, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

On 06/02/2023 14:19, Dan Carpenter wrote:
[ Ancient code but the warning showed up again because the function was
    renamed or something? - dan ]

Hello Chris Wilson,

The patch 871dfbd67d4e: "drm/i915: Allow compaction upto SWIOTLB max
segment size" from Oct 11, 2016, leads to the following Smatch static
checker warning:

	drivers/gpu/drm/i915/gem/i915_gem_shmem.c:164 shmem_sg_alloc_table()
	warn: variable dereferenced before check 'sg' (see line 155)

Is smatch getting confused here? Not entirely sure but lets see below..

Reading through your comments, it seems like you're saying the NULL
check should be deleted.  I don't really consider that a "false positive".
Hopefully, we both agree that by the time we get to the check the "sg"
pointer has been dereferenced.

drivers/gpu/drm/i915/gem/i915_gem_shmem.c
      58 int shmem_sg_alloc_table(struct drm_i915_private *i915, struct sg_table *st,
      59                          size_t size, struct intel_memory_region *mr,
      60                          struct address_space *mapping,
      61                          unsigned int max_segment)
      62 {
      63         unsigned int page_count; /* restricted by sg_alloc_table */
      64         unsigned long i;
      65         struct scatterlist *sg;
      66         struct page *page;
      67         unsigned long last_pfn = 0;        /* suppress gcc warning */
      68         gfp_t noreclaim;
      69         int ret;
      70
      71         if (overflows_type(size / PAGE_SIZE, page_count))
      72                 return -E2BIG;
      73
      74         page_count = size / PAGE_SIZE;
      75         /*
      76          * If there's no chance of allocating enough pages for the whole
      77          * object, bail early.
      78          */
      79         if (size > resource_size(&mr->region))
      80                 return -ENOMEM;
      81
      82         if (sg_alloc_table(st, page_count, GFP_KERNEL | __GFP_NOWARN))
      83                 return -ENOMEM;
      84
      85         /*
      86          * Get the list of pages out of our struct file.  They'll be pinned
      87          * at this point until we release them.
      88          *
      89          * Fail silently without starting the shrinker
      90          */
      91         mapping_set_unevictable(mapping);
      92         noreclaim = mapping_gfp_constraint(mapping, ~__GFP_RECLAIM);
      93         noreclaim |= __GFP_NORETRY | __GFP_NOWARN;
      94
      95         sg = st->sgl;
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
"sg" set here.

It is guaranteed to be non-NULL since sg_alloc_table succeeded.

Yeah.  This doesn't matter.  When I originally wrote this, I thought it
mattered but then I re-read the code but forgot to delete this comment.

In theory Smatch is supposed to be able to be tracking that "If
sg_alloc_table() succeeds, then "st->sgl" is non-NULL," but
__sg_alloc_table() has a do { } while() loop and Smatch is bad at
parsing loops.

However, Smatch does say that if sg_alloc_table() succeeds it means
page_count is non-zero.

      96         st->nents = 0;
      97         for (i = 0; i < page_count; i++) {

Since page_count is non-zero we definitely enter this loop.

      98                 const unsigned int shrink[] = {
      99                         I915_SHRINK_BOUND | I915_SHRINK_UNBOUND,
      100                         0,
      101                 }, *s = shrink;
      102                 gfp_t gfp = noreclaim;
      103
      104                 do {
      105                         cond_resched();
      106                         page = shmem_read_mapping_page_gfp(mapping, i, gfp);
      107                         if (!IS_ERR(page))
      108                                 break;

This should probably break out of the outer loop instead of the inner
loop?

Don't think so, the loop has allocated a page and wants to break out the
inner loop so the page can be appended to the sg list.

      109
      110                         if (!*s) {
      111                                 ret = PTR_ERR(page);
      112                                 goto err_sg;
      113                         }
      114
      115                         i915_gem_shrink(NULL, i915, 2 * page_count, NULL, *s++);
      116
      117                         /*
      118                          * We've tried hard to allocate the memory by reaping
      119                          * our own buffer, now let the real VM do its job and
      120                          * go down in flames if truly OOM.
      121                          *
      122                          * However, since graphics tend to be disposable,
      123                          * defer the oom here by reporting the ENOMEM back
      124                          * to userspace.
      125                          */
      126                         if (!*s) {
      127                                 /* reclaim and warn, but no oom */
      128                                 gfp = mapping_gfp_mask(mapping);
      129
      130                                 /*
      131                                  * Our bo are always dirty and so we require
      132                                  * kswapd to reclaim our pages (direct reclaim
      133                                  * does not effectively begin pageout of our
      134                                  * buffers on its own). However, direct reclaim
      135                                  * only waits for kswapd when under allocation
      136                                  * congestion. So as a result __GFP_RECLAIM is
      137                                  * unreliable and fails to actually reclaim our
      138                                  * dirty pages -- unless you try over and over
      139                                  * again with !__GFP_NORETRY. However, we still
      140                                  * want to fail this allocation rather than
      141                                  * trigger the out-of-memory killer and for
      142                                  * this we want __GFP_RETRY_MAYFAIL.
      143                                  */
      144                                 gfp |= __GFP_RETRY_MAYFAIL | __GFP_NOWARN;
      145                         }
      146                 } while (1);
      147
      148                 if (!i ||
      149                     sg->length >= max_segment ||
      150                     page_to_pfn(page) != last_pfn + 1) {
      151                         if (i)
      152                                 sg = sg_next(sg);
      153
      154                         st->nents++;
      155                         sg_set_page(sg, page, PAGE_SIZE, 0);
                                              ^^
Dereferenced.

Does smatch worry about the sg = sg_next(sg) here, or the initially
highlighted state? Even for the former we know we have allocated enough
entries (always allocate assuming worst possible fragmentation) so this will
still be valid whatever happens.

None of that really matters.  What matters is that we dereference "sg"
at the end of every iteration through the loop.

Technically, it does slightly matter.  If Smatch were able to determine
that a dereference is safe, then it doesn't print a warning.  But Smatch
is probably always never going to know that sg_next() can't return NULL
here.

      156                 } else {
      157                         sg->length += PAGE_SIZE;
                                  ^^
Here too.

      158                 }
      159                 last_pfn = page_to_pfn(page);
      160
      161                 /* Check that the i965g/gm workaround works. */
      162                 GEM_BUG_ON(gfp & __GFP_DMA32 && last_pfn >= 0x00100000UL);
      163         }
  --> 164         if (sg) /* loop terminated early; short sg table */
                      ^^^^^^

      165                 sg_mark_end(sg);

If "sg" were NULL then we are already toasted.

AFAICT it can never be since the loop can never try to iterate past the last
sg entry.

Right.  So this if statement can be deleted?

I think so, I don't see loop can exit with a null sg. Sg_mark_end() still has to stay in case of i915_sg_trim below is not able to re-allocate a more compact list.

Regards,

Tvrtko