[OA][RFC] Exposing low-resolution engine business via sysfs

Hi,

I am the developer of MangoHud[1], a Vulkan and OpenGL overlay for monitoring FPS / temperatures / CPU/GPU load and more.

I would like to add support for i915 (and xe in the future) but I am currently unable to do this easily because not everything I need is exposed directly to non-root users. Namely:

 * Engine business (RCS)
 * CPU, iGPU and dGPU power usage
 * IMC bandwith (nice to have but not mandatory)

This is a problem because it would require us to ship a setuid binary to poll these metrics for the overlay (we can't run games as root).

For your information, this is Intel-specific as AMD and NVIDIA are exposing these values directly. I understand the security concerns, but we are not asking for super precise information (1% accuracy is perfect).

Can we work together on this, what are your thoughts?

Thanks for your consideration.

//Simon Hallsten

[1] https://github.com/flightlessmango/MangoHud