i915 SR-IOV support for Intel Xe graphics

Hello esteemed developers,

I am Manjaro running a i7-1165G7 11th Gen CPU on the late 2020 edition of the Dell XPS. It's good, the best development laptop I've ever had actually, but it has no dedicated graphics and as a heavy virtual machine user I was disappointed to discover Intel had deprecated support GVT-g, leaving me at the mercy of Virgil 3D if I want OpenGL in my virtual machines.

But there was a silver lining to this cloud: Apparently GVT-g was deprecated because 11th and 12 generation Intel CPUs instead support Single-root input/output virtualization (SR-IOV) for GPU virtualization instead. Yes! Finally SR-IOV in consumer-grade hardware! And my CPU appears to be supported as well!

...in Windows. Apparently even though the hardware is compatible the SR-IOV API is not documented in the Linux i915 driver. My dreams of silky-smooth virtual machines have been put on hold once again.

Which brings me to the point of this email. I am inquiring, in the most sincere and humble way, as to the status of SR-IOV support in the i915 driver. I am curious if there are any significant hurdles that have to be overcome, if support is planned in the future, and if I can somehow throw money at the problem (a bug / feature bounty?) to implement this feature.

PS: I tried to search the archives for references to i915 SR-IOV support before sending this email but came up dry, so I apologize if this question has been asked before.