Re: [RFC 4/4] drm/i915/gt: Pipelined page migration

Quoting Chris Wilson (2020-12-01 09:33:20)
> Quoting Tvrtko Ursulin (2020-12-01 09:26:05)
> > Now second copy comes and calls emit_pte which again writes to [0,
> > CHUNK_SZ) virtual range. How does that end up in the PTE backing store
> > and not previous object backing store?
>
> It all boils down to the PD being offset.

        /*
         * We construct a very special VM for use by all migration contexts,
         * it is kept pinned so that it can be used at any time. As we need
         * to pre-allocate the page directories for the migration VM, this
         * limits us to only using a small number of prepared vma.
         *
	 * To be able to pipeline and reschedule migration operations while
         * avoiding unnecessary contention on the vm itself, the PTE updates
         * are inline with the blits. All the blits use the same fixed
         * addresses, with the backing store redirection being updated on the
         * fly. Only 2 implicit vma are used for all migration operations.
         *
	 * We lay the ppGTT out as:
         *
         *      [0, CHUNK_SZ) -> first object
         *      [CHUNK_SZ, 2 * CHUNK_SZ) -> second object
         *      [2 * CHUNK_SZ, 2 * CHUNK_SZ + 2 * CHUNK_SZ >> 9] -> PTE
         *
         * By exposing the dma addresses of the page directories themselves
         * within the ppGTT, we are then able to rewrite the PTE prior to use.
         */

-Chris