Re: [RFC 2/2] drm/i915: Use user engine names in error state ecode

On 04/11/2020 12:33, Chris Wilson wrote:
Quoting Tvrtko Ursulin (2020-11-04 12:20:43)
From: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin@xxxxxxxxx>

Instead of printing out the internal engine mask, which can change between
kernel versions making it difficult to map to actual engines, list user
friendly engine names in the ecode string. For example:

Nah. It's a nonsense number, just exists for quick and futile discrimination.
Trying to interpret it is pointless.

There's very little value to be gained from it, it should just serve as a
tale-tell that we have captured an error state. The action and impact of
the reset should be separately recorded.

My problem with the nonsense number is that we have it, but that is is unstable and people are interpreting it.

How about a bitmask of uabi classes instead? As you can see I really want something from the ABI-land, or not at all. Classes might be just the thing for the purpose of a signature.

Regards,

Tvrtko