Re: Time for execbuf3 ?

On 21/03/2019 09:46, Joonas Lahtinen wrote:
Quoting Lionel Landwerlin (2019-03-19 18:39:52)
Hi all,

There are couple of extensions coming up for our userspace drivers (anv/i965)
where we need to add additional parameters to execbuf :

     - VK_KHR_timeline_semaphore : supplying u64 points together with syncobjs
     [1]
     - a non public piece of work related to performance counters [2] :
     supplying a performance configuration ID to reconfigure the performance HW

Recently some discussions on IRC also highlighted the need for better reporting
of execbuf failure.
We have a number of bugs where execbuf fails after a number of hours running an
application or some random conditions and it's almost impossible to figure out
where the problem lies.
Having a way for i915 to report what validation the input parameters actually
fail would more helpful than EINVAL.

Some of the virtual engine stuff could also fit in there but maybe the timeline
is too tight for that.

We've added a i915_query mechanism that is easily extendable and after exposing
topology, it seems to be useful for adding other types of queries (engine
discovery, memory regions and the series in [2] also exposes performance query
configuration data).

I would really like to see a similar mechanism for an execbuf3.
How can we help getting started in that direction?
The direction has certainly been considered for a while already, it's
mostly a matter of gathering all the requirements to avoid execbuf4 next
year :)

So if you have any other potential requirements, now is a good time to
mention them.

Regards, Joonas

Mostly it's just about having the ability to extend it.
I can't really tell you up front what we're going to need until we do :)

Do you know when that work would start?

Thanks

-Lionel

Do people have a better idea?

Thanks,

-Lionel

[1] : https://github.com/djdeath/linux/commit/
8f26fca6dc41d98cb01c5758be01e382a72c84aa
[2] : https://github.com/djdeath/linux/commit/
58be37aae22f7b9b31792aa13415cb5809087c10