Re: uABI / Removing DRM_I915_LOW_LEVEL_TRACEPOINTS Kconfig

On 12/18/18 3:33 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
Quoting Michael Sartain (2018-12-18 01:26:03)
I'm writing to try and make a case for Tvrtko's "Remove
DRM_I915_LOW_LEVEL_TRACEPOINTS Kconfig" patch:

   https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2018-June/169052.html

I'd recommend we just remove the tracepoints as in the very near future
we will break them and the outlook seems bleak that we can support the
same information in the future.

Is it due to moving to a more async (or HW-assisted) submission model? If so, I assume/hope there's still a way to reflect on when things completed after the fact? You could still emit tracepoints at the time when that becomes known, with the time delta marked in the tracepoint itself. gpuvis supports this, but the syntax it currently uses for it isn't necessarily important. There's not much value in looking at these tracepoints fly by in realtime, so being deferred a bit works well for all scenarios where examining a GPU scheduling trace is useful.

-Chris