Re: Can recent i915 support more than 8192x8192 screen?

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 11:31:19PM +0200, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
>     $ xrandr --fb 8960x2880
>     xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 8192x8192 (desired size
>    8960x2880)

I'm afraid that it is a hardware limitation that you won't be able to
workaround.

Interestingly, just yesterday Ville Syrjälä posted a patch series for "GTT remapping for display",
which concludes in this hopeful-looking patch called "Bump gen4+ fb size limits to 32kx32k:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2018-July/171922.html

Which looks oddly similar to what I encountered on reddit.

I don't pretend to even understand what "GTT remapping" is, but maybe there is hope after all? ;-)

But a log would be interesting anyway... (both dmesg and xorg.0.log)

I'll try digging up that patched kernel sometime and get the messages.

>    My current workaround is to pretend that the displays are arranged
>    vertically, but even after a few months I'm sometimes having trouble
>    remembering that I need to move mouse cursor UP when I want to go to
>    LEFT display :-)

This is another bug.... And probably the right (only?) fixable fr your
setup.

Why is this a bug? What I meant is that two wide monitors fit within 8192x8192
when using xrandr's --above but not --left-of, so I'm just using the former despite
having a different physical arrangement.

Marcin

PS: Sorry for the initial double-post, I thought my first email was blackholed
while I was not yet subscribed to the list.