Re: DRM Inquiry

Hi Jani,

Thanks for the help. I was able to manage your advice on the drm_dp_aux_chardev. Though I still need to learn more about the DRM vs kernel process flow. Like for example, upon changing/adding DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV in kernel .config, How did DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV was being invoke here? From the code, I notice character device will be created under drm_dp_aux_register_devnode method.

For example I made two kernel 4.6 with DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV=y and another kernel 4.6 with DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV=n.

So the steps was to build and install the kernel with DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV=y. Once finish, I tried to reboot and verified the /dev/drm_dp_aux_chardev* and it was there. Now, I will change the .config DRM_DP_AUXCHARDEV=n then follow the steps below to manual build the DRM module. I'm not really sure if I'm correct on this one.

1. rm /dev/drm_dp_aux_chardev*
2. make modules_prepare
3. make SUBDIRS=scripts/mod
4. make SUBDIRS=drivers/gpu/drm modules
5. cp drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko /lib/modules/4.6.0-94.11-default/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm
6. ... I copy all .ko under drm to the lib/modules/4.6
7. depmod
8. modprobe i915
9. ... I also modprobe all modules
10. reboot

The result was /dev/drm_dp_aux_chardev* was still there. My expectation was it would disrepair or remove.

Please have comments and advice.

Regards,
John

On Saturday, May 26, 2018, 1:14:40 AM GMT+8, Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2018, "Taylor, Clinton A" <clinton.a.taylor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Looks like the seek=%d in the sprintf is not working.

Yeah. Try skip=%d instead.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center