Re: [V3] drm/i915: Enable VBT based BL control for DP

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018, Chris Wilson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoting Mustaffa, Mustamin B (2018-02-20 08:44:45)
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Would you rather for me to use following line instead?
>>
>> +       int backlight_controller = intel_dp->attached_connector->panel.backlight.controller;
>
> I think so, Jani would be best to answer the question about how
> vbt/panel tie together with backlight and which is meant to be used.

We discussed this previously, and the following sequence would lead to
panel.backlight.controller being used uninitialized in
bxt_power_sequencer_idx because it gets set at
intel_panel_setup_backlight:

- intel_edp_init_connector
  +- intel_dp_pps_init
  |  +- intel_dp_init_panel_power_sequencer_registers
  |     +- intel_pps_get_registers
  |        +- bxt_power_sequencer_idx
  +- intel_panel_setup_backlight

I decided it wasn't worth blocking a reasonable fix (that might warrant
cc: stable actually) on a refactoring. We can (and should) do the
refactoring later though.

BR,
Jani.