Re: Making IGT runnable by CI and developers

On 21/07/2017 16:52, Daniel Vetter wrote:
On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Jani Nikula
<jani.nikula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

I agree the goal should be to run all tests by default. And this means
we should start being more critical of the tests we add.

For stress tests I would like to look more into splitting up the tests
in a way that you could run one iteration fast (as part of default), and
repeat the tests for more stress and coverage. I don't know how feasible
this is, and if it requires carrying over state from one iteration to
other, but I like the goal of running also some of this by default. This
would better catch silly bugs in tests too. (We discussed this offline
with Martin and Tomi.)

I think right now, and for the near future (up to at least a year) the
only time we'll run stress tests if developers need nastier testcases
to help reproduce a bug locally. We simply don't have neither the CI
nor the QA resources to run these tests. If we're making really great
progress on overall quality and CI infrastructure (that needs budget
we don't have right now) and pre-merge testing we might be able to
start looking into running stress tests in CI or QA.

I think a good example is kms_frontbuffer_tracking --show-hidden,
which Paulo used to debug issues on his own machine.

Just on this particular point - to make this facility generic would be a flavour of test tagging, so pretty much the same high level effect as the RFC I sent. I am not pushing it (again), just saying it would be effectively the same approach/effort, only that tags are more generic/flexible.

Regards,

Tvrtko