Re: [RFC 12/14] drm/i915: Interface for controling engine stats collection

On 19/07/2017 12:04, Chris Wilson wrote:

[snip]

Long term though having a global static key is going to be a nasty wart.
Joonas will definitely ask the question how much will it cost us to use
an engine->bool and what we can do to minimise that cost.

Why you think it is nasty? Sounds pretty cool to me.

If we enable sampling on one device (engine even!), it affects another.
But the device is the more compelling argument against.

Since you mention engines, I can do it on engine granularity with normal branches. It makes sense for the pmu interface to have it per engine.

Then as I said before, I can put in a late patch in the series which adds a static key (master enable/disable on or-ed per-engine enables) just in case we find it attractive.

Regards,

Tvrtko