Re: cyr_deliver not deleting messages from file system - what am I doing wrong?

At first, thank you very much!

On 15.06.2024 11:37, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
On 15 Jun 2024, at 10:53, Binarus wrote:

    At first, thanks for your answer, and sorry for the delay.

    On 10.06.2024 12:20, Patrick Boutilier wrote:

        The first thing that comes to mind is to make sure that Thunderbird has actually compacted the folders.

    I always thought that a message gets the "Deleted" flag assigned when I delete it in TB, and that cyr_expire can be used to purge all messages that have this flag set.

You thought wrong :-) That’s what EXPUNGE is for. I guess in Thunderbird the operation is called "compact". There are 3 ways of deleting messages in Thunderbird. If you use the one that only marks the messages as deleted, you need to actually expunge them somehow.

Yes, that one was clear to me ...

    Would you mind shortly explaining why it is necessary to have TB compact the respective folder before using cyr_expire?

Because cyr_expire expires /expunged/ messages, not ones with the \Deleted flag.

... but I wrongly assumed that cyr_expire would expunge the "deleted" messages. Actually, it's the description of the -X flag in the cyr_expire manual that caught me (https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/manpages/systemcommands/cyr_expire.html):

"
-X:
Expunge previously deleted messages older than expunge-duration (when using the "delayed" expunge mode). Format is the same as delete-duration.
"

Very worrying IMHO. The term "deleted" messages is misleading in this context, at least for me. I interpreted "deleted messages" as "messages that have the deleted flag set". It probably should then read "Expunge previously expunged messages ...". Not sure whether that would be less worrying, though :-)

So I've got it, thanks to your explanation.

In the meantime, I have also learned that in Thunderbird we not only can compact one folder at a time using the folder context menu, but we can compact all folders at once via "File -> Compact folders", so the messages being scattered across some hundreds of folders is not an issue any more.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Binarus

Regards,
Sebastian

--
.:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.13.:.
.:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.