Re: Is KPOP used anywhere?

Hi,

I'd never heard of it until today, so I don't have any more insight than this.

What a blast from the past!

I think this stuff is related to either MIT's Project Athena ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Athena 1983 to at least 2023 )

...or, perhaps more likely, CMU's Andrew Project ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Project )

Which ran from 1982, and some parts are still around, for example AFS, the Andrew File System which is run at quite large scale (25,000 clients) at Morgan Stanley. And, of course Cyrus itself which was the Andrew Project mail server that replaced its original AMS (Andrew Messaging System).

There was some pretty interesting stuff going on back then and both projects are worth a read.

I tried getting a Kerberised environment set up about a decade ago. It worked really well with SSH but I couldn't find MUAs with good Kerberos support and exim, which I was using for SMTP/submission, didn't have support either so it was hard to get mail going. Most desktop web browsers could be persuaded to send a Kerberos ticket to certain domains on receipt of the right HTTP AUTH headers but that too was a little tricky to get going in an unmanaged desktop environment as it required some about:config tweaks to set up manually.

So... I think my contribution to the discussion is that KPOP on it's own isn't very useful anymore because the main MTAs that you'd be using for SMTP/submission don't support Kerberos. From a feature auditing point of view, the pool of MTAs to choose from is far smaller than the pool of MUAs

I'm not sure if even MS Outlook (which can do Active Directory, which is a variant of Kerberos) will negotiate it outside of an AD context, but I'm willing to be informed on that by someone who knows more.

Best wishes,
@ndy

--
andyjpb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx