MacOS Mail client gets stuck in "Moving Messages" etc

Hi all,

Since I updated to 3.4.0, Mail.app on Sonoma (and possibly before, but it's very visible now) seems to take a really long time updating my INBOX, and I get a message at the bottom of the Folders list saying "Moving Messages 5 of 5" or "Preparing to Move Messages ..." etc.

I'm currently running 3.8.1 on Fedora 39 on a 1-core VM w/ 8GB DRAM and it doesn't to be resource bound.

Is anyone else seeing this?  And is this a client-side or server-side issue?

I tried deleting the account (which should have cleared any caches) and added it back (which should have caused the index database to be rebuilt).  I even tried explicitly rebuilding the mailbox.

I'm on a lot of mailing lists, so I probably have about 100K+ messages in my INBOX, and another 25-30M messages in subfolders (things get deposited their by Sieve based on List-ID rules).

But my mailbox has been large for a long time and this is orders of magnitude slower than it had ever been previously.

Even clearing flags or setting a message to "Read" takes a lot longer.

Any help is of course appreciated.

Thanks