Re: Switching to virtual domains

Hello Ellie and others,

Op 01-04-2024 om 23:25 schreef ellie timoney:
Hi Paul,

On Thu, 28 Mar 2024, at 8:41 PM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
 > virtdomains:   yes

Not sure that this will completely solve your issues, but you should set virtdomains to "userid", not "yes".  Here's the relevant snippet from the imapd.conf(5) man page (emphasis mine):

userid The user's domain is determined by  splitting  a  fully  qualified
         userid  at  the last '@' or '%' symbol.  If the userid is unquali‐
         fied, the defaultdomain will be used. *This  is  the  recommended**
*
*        configuration  for all deployments.*  If you wish to provide calen‐
         daring services you must use this configuration.

"yes"/"on" has a slightly different behaviour, which is incompatible with calendaring and will necessitate another change in your future if you ever want to use that.  See also: https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2847 <https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2847>

I did use "virtdomains: yes" because I thought you need that for using a defaultdomain. But that seems to be a mistake, so thanks for the correction.

At the moment I use a testserver with "virtdomains: userid". Difficult was the authentication. Now I am using the "-r" option with saslauthd, and it seems to work now!

Difficult was also the fact that Cyrus runs completely as user Cyrus, so it cannot read the certificates from certbot. This is what I do:
chown :ssl-cert /etc/letsencrypt/archive /etc/letsencrypt/live
chown -R :ssl-cert /etc/letsencrypt/archive/
chmod g+rx /etc/letsencrypt/archive /etc/letsencrypt/live
chown -R :ssl-cert /etc/letsencrypt/archive/
chmod -R g+r /etc/letsencrypt/archive/
adduser cyrus ssl-cert

With regards,
Paul