Switching to virtual domains

Hello,

One of my servers is a small server with Cyrus 3.6.1 where I would like to switch to virtual domains in Cyrus. The goal is that users can login with an e-mail address in stead of a username. And to test this for other servers.

What I would like, is that users can login temporary with both username and e-mail address. To make the switch easier.

I did put this in /etc/imapd.conf:
virtdomains:   yes
defaultdomain: domain.nl
loginrealms:   domain.nl host.domain.nl

But it does not work, the bounce says: "LMTP 550-Mailbox unknown".

host.domain.nl is the name of the mailserver. Do I maybe have to use that name as defaultdomain?

Do I have to rename the mailboxes first? But I guess I cannot use the username to login then anymore? I use saslauthd with a PAM backend.

Do I have to stop with using virtual domains in Postfix?
In /etc/postfix/virtual I have lines like this:
domain.nl            #
info@xxxxxxxxx       yvonne
The mail for info@xxxxxxxxx is sended to yvonne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What would be a good way to go?