Re: [Marketing Mail] Re: LDAP authentication and authorization using Debian and Active Directory

on. den 13. 03. 2024 klokka 15.46 (+0100) skreiv Marco Moock:

> That message is empty.

oops, I am sorry, thank you for letting me know.

denis wrote:
> Executed the following command:
> ldapwhoami -ZZ -H ldap://dnsservername  -D "CN=xxxxx,CN=Users,DC=xxxxxxx,DC=xxx" -W
> and I got the proper reply.  Which indicate that the AD is accepting connections on LDAPS port and CA was properly imported.

Not really: in this mode, ldapwhoami uses port 389 and sends STARTTLS to
upgrade to encrypted communication.  You need to use the uri schema
ldaps:// to connect to the LDAPS port, 636.

Marco wrote:
> I can appreciate that because of security and privacy issues when not
> using encryption.

Well, in both cases encryption is used.  There is however a shift from
the old IETF "use only one port for a protocol" to a mode where SSL is
established before the protocol itself.  The reason for this is
complexities in the state machine which has caused security problems in
the past.  This can also happen on the sysadmin level, where
misconfiguration may allow authentication even before STARTTLS has been
successful, which means the password is sniffable.

An example of such a port migration is IMAP, where port 143 is not so
popular anymore compared to IMAPS, 993.

--
venleg helsing,
Kjetil T.