Re: Corrupted mailboxes.db

Hi,

On Sun, 16 Jul 2023, at 5:36 PM, gijs.hillenius@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
What is the recommended way to update the mailboxes.db?

On 3.6 (or later), if your mailboxes are  intact on disk, but Cyrus cannot see them due to mailboxes.db being empty or broken -- perhaps following a failed upgrade -- then the tool to correct this is "reconstruct -P /path/to/cyrus.header".  Please note that that's an uppercase P, not a lowercase p.

Each mailbox on disk has its own cyrus.header file, so you should locate these files, and run "reconstruct -P" on them.  You might need to be careful about ordering -- I do not know what happens if you try to do a child before its parent, maybe it's fine, maybe not.

Here's what the reconstruct man page says about -P:

-P Instead of mailbox prefixes, give paths to cyrus.header files on the command line. The paths can be mailbox directories, or explicit cyrus.header filenames. This will ONLY create/repair mailboxes.db records using data in cyrus.header and cyrus.index.

As long as your mailboxes are intact on disk, this tool should be able to repair their mailboxes.db records, making them usable again.

It would have been great if I could have contributed this detail to the discussion much earlier, but truth be told I forgot the option existed until just now.  Sorry!

Cheers,

ellie