Re: Proxy Protocol support

On 1/29/23 11:44 PM, ivanov17@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello!

Does Cyrus IMAP support proxy protocol?
https://www.haproxy.com/blog/use-the-proxy-protocol-to-preserve-a-clients-ip-address/
Unfortunately, I didn't find any mention in the Cyrus documentation.

I would like to do SSL termination with HAProxy and be able to preserve client addresses.
Is it possible at the moment?

The short answer is that Cyrus doesn't currently support PROXY protocol.  However, having just read the spec, it doesn't appear that it would be hard to integrate.  At first glance, a command line option (or config parameter) would have to be added to signal that the service should expect to see the proxy protocol in use. Second, an extra 'proxy protocol' flag could be added to global.c:get_clienthost() to enable parsing the protocol/address info off of the wire rather than using getsockname() and getpeername().

Such a patch would most likely be gladly accepted.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Senior Software Developer