Re: 3.2.6 -> 3.6.0 replication, restarting after sync_shutdown_file

Hi,

I tackle this problem in the following way:

My setup:
   1. One master site/datacenter, handles all connections imaps and web based dav stuff.
   2. Two standby / backup datacentres using sync client replication.

On master, imapd.conf I have per datacentre replication configurations. Basically ensuring a replica exists on both slave datacentres.

I have a custom python script that regularly checks running processes to ensure ‘sync_client -r -n {namedefinedinimap.conf}} is running. (You could use a dtandard bash script, entirely up to you).

If the per data-centre process isn't running, force it to run using a script and periodic execution using cron. If its running, do nothing. By doing this, even if master for some reason crashes the sync tasks, you can use a independent script and execute it to what ever cron schedule you’re comfortable with.

I also take it one step forward and use my ansible/automation node to sanity check that both the sync client health checker script is running  and executing successfully and also do some magical stuff to ensure that the number of emails per mailbox on the master compared to those on the slaves are within a defined tolerance (check cyr_adm options,
It can output some cool metrics and with some parsing can do some cool stuff with sanity checking consistency between master/slave nodes). The key here is tolerance/threshold because with this approach the master and slaves will likely always be out by at least a few (depending on how busy the server is and the delay taken to run the health check on master until slave run time). If the count exceeds what I’d expect, I tell the playbook to also email me (do all the comparison stuff on the automation server). A watch the watcher of sorts.  Its not the most graceful solution on the planet but it has served me well over the past few years.

Perhaps this might be desirable if you don’t want to cause outages to users / restarting master is a bit aggressive.

There may be better solutions but this is one that works for me.

-A