Re: Need help - marking message read

Hi,

On Thu, 5 Jan 2023, at 4:30 AM, asparks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've tried several things so far, including removing the user/user.seen file and restarting (that made all messages unseen, but even then after I used Thunderbird to mark all read again, the problem is back.

I've restore the mail spool and tried just "reconstruct" (didn't seem to help), and "cyrus reconstruct -G -R -V max" (which made a big mess).

You can't use "-V max" in conjunction with other reconstruct options, it'll either do the version-upgrade only or everything-else only, but not both.

You DO need to run "reconstruct -G" and "reconstruct -V max" for each mailbox, though I don't remember which order you'll need them in... but probably V first, since your files may not even have a spot to store a GUID at the moment, so there's no point doing G first.

"reconstruct -G" will create (or refresh) GUIDs for all your messages, which are important in 3.4 and vital in 3.6+, and which, coming from 2.3, you may not currently have.

"reconstruct -V max" will update your metadata files to the version your Cyrus expects them to be in, which will most likely fix your Seen state issues.  Cyrus has some ability to operate with older metadata versions (in particular, it can read older versions in order to do the upgrade, but cannot necessarily write older versions anymore), but you should not expect full or correct functionality until you've updated the mailbox metadata.  Seen state is a kind of mailbox metadata!  So your problem with it being unable to preserve seen state between sessions is most likely caused by it no longer being able to write the metadata format your mailboxes are using.

If you haven't already read the upgrading instructions for 3.4, as well as each version you've skipped over, please do so (at least, as much as is possible -- 2.4 and 2.5 did not have upgrading documentation, as far as I'm aware).  The ones I know about are here:

http://www.cyrusimap.org/3.0/imap/download/upgrade.html
http://www.cyrusimap.org/3.2/imap/download/upgrade.html
http://www.cyrusimap.org/3.4/imap/download/upgrade.html

Please also check the release notes for at least the x.y.0 for each.  They're all available from https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/download/release-notes/index.html

You may not be able to successfully upgrade directly from 2.3 -> 3.4.  I think you should be able to upgrade 3.0 -> 3.4 in a single step, and I think you should be able to get from 2.4 -> 3.0 in a single step.  But since you're starting from 2.3, you might need to stop over at 2.4 or 2.5 along the way too.  Sorry about this, but that's how it goes.  One of the downsides of not upgrading for a long time is that by the time you try, everyone who knew how at the time has forgotten.

Hope this is of some help,

ellie