You may find it easier to try using a tool like imapsync, which uses IMAP protocol to sync your old server to the new, and lets one work around any incompatibilities introduced along the way.  But everything you need to successfully upgrade from 2.4.9 to 3.4.3 can be found on the cyrusimap.org site.

Cheers,
    -nic

On 11/13/22 15:23, Patrick Boutilier wrote:
On 2022-11-13 11:11, thom_schu@xxxxxx wrote:
Hello,
I got the task, to migrate a cyrus imapd installation from an old SLES 12 with cyrus imapd 2.4.19
to an ubuntu-machine with ubuntu 22.04 LTS with cyrus imapd 3.4.3.

I'm not very familar with that stuff.

My first problem: The path to the mailboxes on the old system is /var/spool/imap/user/. In this directory there are all the user mailboxes.
But on the ubuntu-Server the mailbox-path-structure is as follows: /var/spool/cyrus/mail/[a-z]/user.

I can't find any setting, where I can manipulate this. Does this path depend on the OS ? Or on the cyrus imapd version ?

My plan was to copy the mailboxes to the new server and start a reconstruct.

But how will I do that ? Do I have to sort the users into the alphabetical ordered directory structure "manually" ?
Or can I keep my old structure ?

The Ubuntu server has "hashimapspool" set to true it seems. And possibly "fulldirhash" as well. You can set these to false if the Ubuntu server doesn't have any live data as changing that setting will break things.

https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/admin/locations/hashing.html

thanks

Thomas

*Cyrus <https://cyrus.topicbox.com/latest>* / Info / see discussions <https://cyrus.topicbox.com/groups/info> + participants <https://cyrus.topicbox.com/groups/info/members> + delivery options <https://cyrus.topicbox.com/groups/info/subscription> Permalink <https://cyrus.topicbox.com/groups/info/T99ebac3f0e6d6f36-M081875de05046424ec1541c9>