Re: How to use cyrdeliver when the target mailbox's name contains space characters?

Hi ellie,

thank you very much for the fast reply.

On 24.01.2022 23:42, ellie timoney wrote:
A very similar question came up as a github issue a week or so ago: https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/3870

I was wondering if you were the same person, but I don't think so: your respective examples of things you've tried are quite different in the details.

No, this is pure coincidence. I even didn't find that issue when trying to research and solve the problem during the past two days :-)

We have not yet found a conclusive answer on the github discussion.

Interesting. I'll look into that issue tomorrow in the hope I can learn something.
There is a test case in Cassandane that appears to work okay by substituting the space for an underscore (_), though the test isn't specifically testing the behaviour of mailboxes with spaces, it just happens to use one.  Though, the person on github hasn't yet been able to make it work with an underscore.  I still think underscore substitution may be part of the answer, but it clearly isn't all of it.

I just tested, and it didn't work (as you expected). In the command lines I mentioned in my first post, I replaced " " and "\ ", respectively, by an underscore ("_"). As expected, the "Bad protocol" error went away, but only in favor of the "Mailbox does not exist" error.
There may be more going on (a bug, or something).  I'm not especially familiar with deliver, so I don't just know off the top of my head whether there's a "correct way" to do this.

I tried to read its source code on GitHub, but couldn't spot where the problem is. Understanding the sources if you never had to do anything with them surely would take several days, or even weeks.
For whatever it's worth, "deliver" is the standard cyrus name of this tool.  I assume "cyrdeliver" is a result of your package provider renaming it to avoid conflicting with some other package, but it might be worth checking that your "cyrdeliver" is actually the cyrus deliver tool, and not a wrapper or some other thing.

I am 100% sure that it is the same program. The system where I am testing is running debian buster; /usr/sbin/cyrdeliver is just a symbolic link to /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/deliver there. Also, as part of my tests, I replaced /usr/sbin/cyrdeliver by /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/deliver in the command lines; this didn't change anything (which was expected).

Thank you very much for your efforts,

Binarus