recommended way to clear a mailbox after testing during replication?

I've been testing my replication setup which is part of an upgrade from 2.4 to 3.4, and as such, I've connected to the new server a couple of times, and changed things on it by testing Thunderbird's connection.

Subsequent to that, I see this when I manually replicate :

USER carl@xxxxxxxxxxx
Error from do_user(carl@xxxxxxxxxxx): bailing out!
USER carl@xxxxxxxxxxx
Error from do_user(carl@xxxxxxxxxxx): bailing out!

I have tried deleting the mailbox on the new server using cyradm and trying to sync again, but that hasn't worked - I deleted the mailboxes.db file in /var/imap and started again and that worked, but it was a bit clumsy. Is there a better way?

Thank you!
Carl